Pages

Things That I See & Hear & Find That Crack Me Up Blogs - BlogCatalog Blog Directory

Tuesday, November 2, 2010

Halloween at the Mall: Trick or Treating

Trick Or Treat

Halloween is not just for neighborhoods. That's right ladies and gentleman, welcome to the world of Halloween at the Mall.


I received a large basket about 2 feet in diameter filled with candy. Of course the temptation of the chocolate persuasion teased me mercilessly for a good two minutes before I gave in. 

6:00 p.m. Saturday Night
I purchased my own hefty bag of Wonka goodies and decided to donate half of the bag into the basket to trade for the previously stolen chocolate. The mall advertised trick-or-treating to begin at 6 p.m. The first little girl to "twick-o-tweet" me was a lady bug. 

6:15 p.m. 
For about fifteen minutes I would get a couple kids here and there, but all of the sudden I got mobbed by a large group of kids. I opted not to wear a costume, but that didn't mean I couldn't be a witch. 

"Please take one piece," I suggested with a bright smile followed by, "Thank you." I also received a call from management telling me that the candy would not last if we did not stick to the one piece rule.

After a while asking nicely didn't work, so I made a sign that said:
PLEASE TAKE ONE

Some parents would read the sign and I would give them the look. You know the look that said, "You know that's a shame if you let your child grab a handful and the sign says one." Nothing more entertaining than watching parents reprimand their kids after the exchange of "the look". 
Children trick-or-treating
"Take one," said most people while others would snidely tell their children, "Didn't you read the sign honey, only take one." 

I'm not surprised at the rude people because they're probably the ones not handing out any candy in their own neighborhoods.

6:40 p.m.
The candy began to look low, so I emptied the rest of my bag into the basket. A long line formed from my register all the way into the mall. 


1955:  American actor Marilyn Monroe stands on a subway grate and laughs as the wind blows the skirt of her white halter dress next to Austrian-born director Billy Wilder (1906 - 2002) on the set of Wilder's film, 'The Seven Year Itch' Times Square, New York City.  (Photo by Hulton Archive/Getty Images)I saw many Wizard of Oz costumes, several princesses and bumblebees, some Nintendo Mario's, but the one that stood out the most to me was Marilyn Monroe. Yes, that is correct I saw a child dressed up as Marilyn Monroe and to top it off I'm pretty sure that Marilyn was a young boy. 



Marilyn had on the famous blowing halter white dress with heels and blond curled wig as well. My co-worker commented, "I don't think I would allow my daughter to dress up as Marilyn at that age." To which I informed her of Marilyn's real gender. 

6:50 p.m.
The last bits of gum left the basket, but I still had a line extending from well within my store all the way out into the middle of the mall. So I decided to take things visually to let people know the situation.


I held the empty basket in the air for all to see. The same way Rafiki the baboon held Simba in the Lion King. I raised my voice slightly and stated, "Sorry folks there is no more candy."


Of course people looked confused and kids tried to peer around the people standing in their line of vision. People were continuing to line up in the mall. 

So I had to kick it up a notch and yell at the top of my lungs:
Yelling into a Megaphone

THERE IS NO MORE CANDY! 
THE CANDY IS ALL GONE! 
THE BASKET IS EMPTY!


I shook the basket in the air and waved it side to side.


Another co-worker of mine began to laugh at my theatrics, but the dramatic show of the empty basket was necessary to inform people clearly. 

The line dispersed just as quickly as it formed. One guy shouts, "We take gift cards." I replied, "Sure just pay for it." 




Images provided by: picapp


No comments:

Post a Comment